Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beatles vs The Beach Boys
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #523 (permalink)
NYSPORTSFAN
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
What? The Rolling Stones started off as Blues when they first started off as a band and that had nothing to do with being influenced by The Beatles. And it's the other way around where The Beatels were influence by The Rolling Stones especially the album 12X5.

The song is "Ida Red" it's a tradtional song that was done by Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys.

Both Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys and Chuck Berry could play the pants off The Beatles.
The Rolling Stones besides the Beatles are my favorite band. Like I don't know the Rolling Stones were a blues band to start as their whole first album is basically covers of blues and early rock and roll songs except their only original on the album is the Beatlesque "Tell Me" and then went pretty much pop rock from 1965-1967.

Really never heard the Beatles were influenced by the album 12X5 and I don't hear it either. Everyone knew the Rolling Stones were influenced by the Beatles and it wasn't just Sgt. Pepper or "Hey Jude" which was an influence on Mic. The Beatles were the main reason the Rolling Stones were writing their own songs to start with. There is no way around it they both influenced each other but like with Brian Wilson and hearing Rubber Soul which inspired Pet Sounds the Rolling Stones were playing catchup with the Beatles for the majority of the 1960's until basically when they retreated back to rootsy rock and roll in 1968.

An excerpt from John Lennon Rolling Stone Interview from 1971 By Jann S. Wenner

What do you think of the Stones today?

I think it's a lot of hype. I like ``Honky Tonk Women,'' but I think Mick's a joke with all that *** dancing; I always did. I enjoy it; I'll probably go and see his films and all like everybody else, but really, I think it's a joke.

Do you see him much now?

No, I never do see him. We saw a bit of each other when Allen [Klein, Beatles' late-period manager] was first coming in - I think Mick got jealous. I was always very respectful of Mick and the Stones, but he said a lot of sort of tarty things about the Beatles, which I am hurt by because, you know, I can knock the Beatles, but don't let Mick Jagger knock them. I would like to just list what we did and what the Stones did two months after on every ' album. Every thing we did, Mick does exactly the same - he imitates us. And I would like one of you ****in' underground people to point it out. You know, Satanic Majesties is Pepper; ``We Love You,'' it's the most bull****, that's ``All You Need Is Love.'' I resent the implication that the Stones are like revolutionaries and that the Beatles weren't. If the Stones were or are, the Beatles really were, too. But they are not in the same class, musicwise or powerwise, never were. I never said anything, I always admired them, because I like their funky music, and I like their style. I like rock & roll and the direction they took after they got over trying to imitate us. He's obviously so upset by how big the Beatles are compared with him, he never got over it. Now he's in his old age, and he is beginning to knock us, you know, and he keeps knocking. I resent it, because even his second record, we wrote it for him. Mick said, ``Peace made money.'' We didn't make any money from peace.

Last edited by NYSPORTSFAN; 09-26-2012 at 07:01 AM.
NYSPORTSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote