Music Banter - View Single Post - The Best Decade Of Film
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Impossible to answer for me. Sure we have the recognised classics from the 70's (No Taxi Driver Loathsome? shocking!),
Taxi Driver really did use to be one of my all time favourite movies, and I still feel a tangible connection to Travis Bickle in our desire to wipe the filth off the streets, although I doubt I'd go quite as overboard as him. I've definitely had fantasies about being a taxi driver though, I'm a good driver and I know my way all over town using shortcuts and back streets, so I'd probably be good at it.

That said though, over the last few years I've really started to take a serious look at cinema of the '70's and what I found just blew me away. Straw Dogs still sends shivers down my spine every time I watch it, and Chinatown is easily one of the best neo-noir movies at a time when the style was still relatively new. The newest one on there is Assault on Precinct 13, but holy crap what a movie! I actually just gained a new appreciation for the original Star Wars after watching a Mr. Plinkett audio commentary that highlighed how awesome the movie was in 1977, and how much George Lucas fucked it up in 1997. Alien is still the quintessential sci-fi horror movie which every other one must be judged by, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre has some really trippy scenes that I totally don't remember when I was 13 and watching it for the first time. Eraserhead and Stalker are there to keep up my pretentious film-buff cred, while also being great examples of foreign cinema from "the enemy" and something that was just... bizarre... Network has one of the best written scripts of all time, and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was one of the films from my childhood that I love.

After all that, Taxi Driver still holds a special place in my heart, but I would watch any movie on my list before it, if given the option.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote