Music Banter - View Single Post - The Book Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
This is a place for members to ask for book recommendations, whether it be by genre, author or something else.

I love alien Sci Fi books, can someone please suggest some decent novels that I should read? If there are ones not related to aliens please still recommend! I also want more novels on post apocalyptic settings or distopias.
If you want alien sci-fi books and you want classics you definitely need to check out H.P. Lovecraft, the most important horror author of the 20th century. While he is primarily known for psychological horror, he does do some alien novellas like The Shadow Out of Time which deals with the alien Yithians.

As far as post-apocalyptic you definitely need to check out World War Z by Max Brooks, seriously the greatest thing involving zombies to come out in the last decade.

You might also enjoy the novel Metro 2033 by Russian author Dmitry Glukhovsky. It was turned into a video game a few years ago which was pretty good, but it tells the story of a post-apocalyptic Russia where people survived a nuclear holocaust by feeling to the Moscow metro/ subway system. Years later people create their own cities around their station with their own customs and things. It's a pretty interesting book and heavily inspired by the Fallout series, which I know you're a big fan of.

For other people who have just read the Song of Fire and Ice series and don't feel like reading the Wheel of Time series just yet might want to try picking up Magician: Apprentice by Raymond E. Feist. It's a very "all-ages" approach to fantasy which forms a very nice juxtaposition if your favourite fantasy series is A Song of Fire & Ice. Can see a little corny at times, or generic, but it's well written and has some really nicely developed characters. It's also the first part to a saga trilogy.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote