Music Banter - View Single Post - How did you choose your username?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default How did you choose your username?

Haven't seen a thread about this, and it's something I'm interested in. Some people have really interesting usernames, and it would be fun to know how they chose them. Of course, no-one has to say: if you'd rather keep it to yourself then that's your prerogative. Here's mine anyway, for those who are interested.

Some people (not surprisingly) equate my username with being a troll, in the sense of a forum troll, though people who know me will understand that's certainly not the case. I have been asked on occasion does it stand for "trolling for hearts" or "the heart of a troll"? Well, neither really.

My original name when I went onto the internet back in about 1986 was Lestat, due to my interest in and love of Anne Rice's Vampire novels, but as they became more popular, and with the release of the movie "Interview with the vampire" in 1994, more and more people started using it, so I had to look for an alternative.

Determined to use something no-one else was, I looked to my unfinished fantasy novel, in which trolls play a major part. However, unlike typical fantasy they are not slavering, murdering beasts or slow-witted simpletons: my trolls are a proud, noble people with a long lineage stretching back to the elder gods, and would probably be best compared to the Klingons in Star Trek, or maybe the Vikings.

Their best warrior, a general and a statesman, and a legend in his own lifetime, Aman Trollheart, is a central character in the novel, and I thought of using the name Trollheart. Nobody else seemed to be using it --- probably it had been heard of nowhere else --- and so it stuck. Now, it's my login, username, internet presence, email and anything else I join or am part of.

And that's the story behind my username. Anyone else want to share?