Music Banter - View Single Post - Rush: 2112 (1976) Vs. Test For Echo (1996) Vs. Clockwork Angels (2012)
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #22 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post
didn't really like whatever i've heard from it

Caress of Steel is ok, though
Aww come on...not even By-Tor and the Snow Dog? It was the start of their prog days! Plus Neil seems so eager to please on that album since it's his first with the band.

Caress of Steel was good in its own way, but I can see how it wasn't received well at the time. I mean...if By-Tor was the only hint of the prog to come, I'm sure Caress of Steel really threw people off because - let's face it - it was WAY too prog for them at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
It's really cool to hear Alex paying aggressively again. There used to be some debate over Alex Lifeson's greatness as a guitar player, especially during the 80's When he was known for his shimmering, chorus-drenched, big chord sound. At the time I would dispel any arguments by playing the guitar solo from Natural Science off of Permanent Waves, but today, this whole album showcases what a great player he really is.
I will argue with anyone about Alex's skill as a guitarist. I would argue he knows when to hold back (though I wish he showed off a little more on those 80's albums you are talking about). His chord voicings and progressions are actually pretty complicated. He used a pretty ingenious blend of straight ahead rock and classical guitar playing. I credit learning Rush songs for really improving my guitar playing. Because of Alex, I've really been able to explore open chords more fully.