Music Banter - View Single Post - Who are the Unsung Heroes in music?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #34 (permalink)
Euronomus
Dibs on the killing sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by duotone View Post
EURONOMUS, Thanks I had never heard of him before.

What album can you recommend which showcases his best work?
That's kind of a hard question, his work is all over the place. As far as his own stuff he has released A solo Album and has lead 2 bands that have both released a handful of albums, What Is This?(with Hillel Slovak, Flea, and Jack Irons but changed line-ups a few times) and Eleven (with his late wife Natasha Shnieder and Jack Irons) and they are all pretty different. the song I posted is from his only solo album "spark", IMO the best of his stuff. He wrote it as therapy after his his wife(and main musical collaborator) passed away and is as emotionally intense as you would expect with that back story. I love Eleven, you can't really go wrong with any of their albums, but I'll admit some of it sounds kind of dated now. As far as What is this? goes I've never been a big fan-I'm not prone to like music from the 80's, but I'd still say they are better than most.

Eleven - Reach out, from 1993

What Is This? - I Am A House, from 1984

But like I said in my first post-he is all over a bunch of albums you may have already heard and if not you should definitely check out. Most of Chris Cornell's Euphoria Morning was basically just an Eleven album with Cornell fronting and it shows-even a lot of the vocal melodies sound more like Johannes melodies to me than something Cornell would come up with. Eleven was even the touring band for that album.

He's written for QOTSA- Hangin' Tree and In My Head are both his own creations, and he was part of the writing process for most of the other tracks on those albums-as well as the Them Crooked vultures album(which he recorded and did most of the Backing vocals on).

He also was a main musical contributor(and producer) for Mark Lanegans Blues Funeral album, one of my recent favorites.

Last edited by Euronomus; 10-02-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Euronomus is offline   Reply With Quote