Music Banter - View Single Post - Death Grips
Thread: Death Grips
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #104 (permalink)
The Big Dog

There's definitely a different feeling to this album than on TMS.
It's almost as if they're trying to channel the raw energy of the former release and not quite capturing it, coming across as a little try-hard and over-zealous at times, which could explain the album cover.
In some ways I think the album cover perfectly sums up this record in that it tries a little too hard to be provocative and shocking, whilst ultimately sounding rushed.

It is good, no doubt. There's still catchy hooks, seen in Whammy and No Love and some mind-blowing noisy bass effects that take your mind on a whirling rollercoaster ride when listening through headphones.
Seriously, the distortion of the balance had me feeling like my mind was floating, which was a cool effect as MC Ryde's voice bellowed from side to side, especially on the first few tracks.

There's also a deeper emphasis on MC Ryde's vocals this time around. On TMS, he was used primarily to shout out the hooks, but there's definitely more of an attempt to include him more predominantly this time around, and he has some nice bars, but lyrics and MCing prowess were never this groups strong point.

I remember one of the tracks repeating the sentiment of
'I got some s hit to say just for the f uck of it'
which probably describes this record well.
It is good, no doubt but it just felt as if it was thrown together because Death Grips could.
14232949 is offline   Reply With Quote