Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Albums released after 2000?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Electrophonic Tonic
Your Ad Here

Maybe not best to everyone's ears, but Dalek's Absence is easily one of the most important albums to my musical evolution. I heard it shortly after I started getting into hip hop but Dalek not only pushed me into the realm of underground/alternative hip hop, it made me realize how much I love noisy production and constant abrasiveness. Not that music has to be exclusively like that for me to like it, but allowing me to listen to the likes of Death Grips, Gorguts, Techno Animal and Swans is really thanks to Dalek.

Speaking of Death Grips; they are good, really f*cking good but it's kinda sad to see Dalek be swept aside when they pushed the abrasive limits of hip hop, but like most 'firsts' in music, they're not the ones who get enough credit. The new Death Grips album is incredibly dark and isolating, but it pales to the likes of those Dalek tracks that are smothering with their layers of noise and political rage.

When the mellotron/strings kick in at 3:07... I still get a shiver down my spine after hearing it dozens and dozens of times.

So for me, I'll say Absence. Some others I would include...

Last edited by Electrophonic Tonic; 10-02-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Electrophonic Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote