Music Banter - View Single Post - Help identifying an instrument
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brlarini View Post
Wow, thank you guys, I wasn't expecting such detailed answers.
Anyway, I've been intrested in learning to play some wind instrument due to ease of learning (or so they say...), and that instrument sounded really nice to me.
The Crystal Chronicles series have a really nice set of music which make use of wind instruments (even though they may be synthesized).

[...]

So, thank you again for your help, I'll take some time to try the recorder.
I'm glad the answers in this thread were helpful to you, brlarini. (I don't think the recorder in Crystal Chronicles is synthesized. It sounds exactly like a real recorder sounds. And with enough practice, you should sound just like that!)

Yes, a recorder is easy to learn, because it is basically a glorified whistle.

But one important thing I want to tell you is that when you get a recorder, make sure to get one that has three pieces (so that you can tune it, if necessary, by separating the joints slightly to achieve a lower pitch)...and I recommend Baroque fingering.

Secondly, when you see a recorder fingering chart and you see that the thumb hole appears to be half covered, actually you will need to have the thumb hole covered almost 9/10th of the way (with the open crescent nearest your mouth) to cause the recorder to leap up an octave.

Here's an example of an inexpensive but decent plastic soprano recorder:

Yamaha YRS-302B Soprano Recorder - 3 pieces, $15.27 (US Dollars)
4 1/2 stars (28 reviews)

Amazon.com: Yamaha YRS-302B Soprano Recorder - Baroque 3 Pc.: Musical Instruments

For comparison, a high-end recorder would be a 3-piece wooden Moeck. I have and use a 2-piece wooden Moeck, a "school" type that my parents gave to me when I was five! So, it is probably worth...$1. But it still plays nicely.

More about Moeck recorders:

Moeck Recorders - Courtly Music Unlimited

If you want to buy a very nice recorder, I would recommend the following:

Moeck 4200 Rottenburgh soprano recorder, Baroque fingering, 3-piece, natural maple. ~ $235

^ If you have money to spare, I'd get this one! But the plastic Yamaha 3-piece recorder would probably sound almost as nice. I have a plastic Yamaha tenor recorder and like its tone very much.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 10-03-2012 at 08:19 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote