Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #1532 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Welcome US, nice to see you posting here again. And well done on your own journal; I really think it's becoming one of the favourite ones here. You're certainly putting a lot of work into it.

Sorry I didn't reply to your last post, but it has been busy here getting the extension built, and when I look back on it I dont see any question asked. I don't always reply to comments unless I'm asked something; that might seem ungrateful but I don't really feel it necessary to always respond. No offence intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Guess what Mr.Burns, now that I'm really digging this journal thingy and becoming really obsessed with it, it's now starting to reveal a creative side to me and I'm finding each entry of my own journal even easier and quicker to write. I've now decided to jump back into yours and pass comments like before. So I'm kicking off on page 81 as I'd got upto page 80 before and guess what! You didn't reply to my last post on the journal which was no.1270.
Quote:
Anyway from page 81 to 81:

Asia- We've actually talked a lot about this band and I still think that their debut is one of the best AOR albums of its time. Sure the songs are epic highly spruced up with a commercial sheen to sell by the million and to be played in large arenas, their next two when they were still massive, I think were inferior copies of the debut. Recently, I've really started to get into the John Payne albums and despite being far less known, he took them into a more intersting phase that was far less one-dimensional than the John Wetton albums. I think Aria, Aura and Silent Nation to be good albums but its Arena that is the standout album and a real gem.
We'll never agree on that. I still think the s/t is their weakest album (or was, till "XXX"!) but I do love "Aria" and "Arena". My favourite of the JP era would probably be "Aura" though, such a great album. They should never have parted company with him.
Quote:
Dream Theater- I would've thought that DT would be right up your street, I'm a big fan of the band despite the fact that they are one of the most hated bands on the forum. I really like them, probably because I'm a big fan of their influences bands like Toto, Journey, Styx, Iron Maiden and Rush. They also have a Pink Floyd influence but the biggest influence that I find which often goes unnoticed is that of Kansas. Therefore, if you take Pink Floyd, Rush and Iron Maiden out of the equation you are left with some of the most hated bands around, who are four of my favourites The review you did was of a recent album, have you heard their older stuff yet?
No, to be fair I've listened to very little, but I was not impressed with ADToE; I've only heard bits and pieces other than that: parts of "Falling into infinity" mostly, though I do think "Hollow years" is a great song. Perhaps they'll be another Spock's Beard (take me a long time to get into but finally get them) or IQ (never got into them; fell asleep while listening, almost always). We'll see. At some point I'll give some of their older albums a listen, but it's making the time (moan, moan)...