Music Banter - View Single Post - Latest Movie Purchase?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #784 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

I have Return of the Living Dead on DVD but I don't think it's a 2-disk special edition. As to the others, I can't say I'm familiar with any of them, but if I see them on Netflix or on sale at one of my stores I might look at picking them up.

As for me, here's what I got today.

Body Heat (1981)

The stupid early '80's neo-noir movie I can't seem to shut up about. The only reason I really got it was because I needed something to bring my purchase up to $10 so I could use my debit card.

Assault on Precinct 13 (1976)

Oh hell yes I'm happy to own this one on DVD. Easily one of Carpenter's best movies and one of the 1970's underrated/ ultra violent classics. Slowly but surely my cult movie collection grows.

These ones are from a few weeks back.

Mazes & Monsters (1981)

This made for TV movie is to D&D nerds what Reefer Madness is to potheads, a stupidly over-the-top scaremongering/sensationalist movie about the dangers of roleplaying games staring a very young Tom Hanks. If you've seen the Futurama movie Bender's Game then you pretty much already know the plot, a young man loses his mind and thinks he's living in a fantasy universe, but is actually just delusional and walking around the streets of New York terrifying people with his "bag of magic spells".

Coraline (2009)

I'm an unapologetic sucker for claymation movies and Laika Studios has proven to be the best to offer (they shit all over the likes of Corpse Bride (2005)). I loved Neil Gaiman's novella too, easily one of the most disturbing books aimed at children. Also just when you learn how much effort went into making this movie (for instance all the clothing the characters wear was hand knitted... with needles no longer than a dime). Great movie for all ages, with a lot more to say than the average kids movie.

Labyrinth (1986)

I figured I already had The Dark Crystal (1982) so I may as well have the other big non-Muppets related Jim Hensen movie.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote