Music Banter - View Single Post - The Prog Rock Album Club
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 03:42 AM   #97 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

From my experience with trying to run the prog & fusion album club, the club is doomed to die an early death if you rely too much on the support and effort from other members. I think the way to keep it running is literally just to do that, keep making the threads and doing the discussions, even if you're the only one doing it. If noone else suggests albums, go with your own suggestions. Then people will sometimes join in and sometimes they won't.

It sometimes does become a bit of a chore, but prog rock (and certainly fusion) won't really interest enough people here to keep a whole crowd of albumclubbers engaged and enthusiastic over time. Most will just join in sporadically and then you need to either pull through the dry seasons yourself or not do it.

I guess if you could find someone else ready to dedicate themselves to do this so that you could sort of agree to do equal amount of work - regardless of whether or not others participate - and manage to stick to it, then that could work quite well. I think album clubs are great so it's a shame they can be so hard to do.

edit :

When I started the PFAC club, I had thought quite a bit on how to keep such a club alive because I'd seen many dead album clubs. Of course that's dead now, but it had a good run so - coming up with some sort of survival strategy is a must, I think. At least when it comes to clubs about niche music!

Last edited by Guybrush; 10-05-2012 at 03:50 AM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote