Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #20872 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Today was ugh.

So I drive about an hour and a half away to the data farm where our company's servers are hosted, with the intent of installing another Terrabyte drive so I can create a RAID where my virtual servers will reside. Well, little did I know, the simple act of enabling the RAID controller in the BIOS would render the host operating system unbootable. On top of that, I couldn't even create the RAID because it only gave me options for 0 and 10, and I needed mirroring, what with only having two drives aside from the OS drive.
And I didn't bring a server OS disc with me, not anticipating such a thing.
Fortunately, a tech at the hosting company let me use one of their discs and removable disc drive to install it with, and I got our volume license from one of our guys back at the company. Had this not been possible, I'd have had to make the trip again.

Finally got back to the company, and remoted in, and performed a software RAID, which is not going to be as efficient.

Anticipating leaving work at 4pm, since I got there at 7am, of course one of our live servers that hosts generated reports for our customers goes down, and by the time 4pm rolls around, there's no end in sight.
Everyone else leaves around 5, and a co-worker and I remain. Until about 6:45, when the issue is solved.

Finally home, with well-deserved beer and the glory of sleeping in tomorrow.
I guess the up-side is that I get comped for mileage and gas. So I'll be getting an extra hundred dollars or so on my check next Friday. But overall, today was one of those days where being paid on a salary is not really a good thing.

Oh well. Monday I get to have fun configuring my servers for real, on my own terms. All from the nice, comfy desk at the office. I'm not anticipating any problems, but knock on wood.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote