Music Banter - View Single Post - Lessons/just buy?
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 06:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
Is it worth going for lessons first or diving in with a cheap bass? My fear with lessons is that I won't get enough feel for it anyway in that amount of time, when I could just buy one and practice, practice, practice at home and see if it clicks at all.

I just guess I'm worried I'll invest in it and be ****? Anyone on here who tried and failed/switched to another instrument/succeded off the bat. Just airing my thoughts here.
It really depends on your personality. Are you the kind of person who can stick with something through initial adversity to develop skill or do you cut and run at the first sign of challenge?

If you've got some self-discipline I'd totally recommend picking up a cheap bass and practice (internet and magazines are great resources). An introductory lesson might not hurt either just to get the basics down and to avoid bad practices (like placing your hand in a way that causes unnecessary stress to your wrist).

As for the instrument itself don't spend tons of money on a name brand piece to learn. Just get something that stays in tune and looks cool to start. It's really not that complicated of an instrument, you've got 4 strings and you generally just play 1 note at a time. Once you develop the ability to play at a level that would fit in your friend's band (and you -will- if you stick with it) then start thinking about replacing it with a decent instrument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote