Music Banter - View Single Post - Is This Real or Is It Overdubbed?
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
I'm not bothered by it being out of sync. At one or two points, though, I'm not sure the lead guitar is playing what I am hearing. I guess my problem is that it is so good, I am skeptical some of the music wasn't dubbed in AFTER the performance. The Beatles' 1965 concert at Shea Stadium is tremendous, but I've read that much of that was overdubbed after the concert.
I'm not sure I understand. You're saying that you may believe it wasn't dubbed because you expected the lead guitar to not be so good?

Disregarding the very valid and relevant points Satchmo made above, I can tell you now that a lot of effort would have had to be made to make a dubbed in guitar part sound so cohesive and natural with the rest of the video. And considering that, like Satchmo said, the video doesn't show any evidence of being contracted or professional at all, it's not very likely that an amateur fan would go through such lengths to create a dub that sounds just as bad as the rest of the video.

Not to mention, you can't simply single out instruments and overdub them in a single recording. You can superimpose something on top of it, but you can't take the original instrument out of a single recording. If someone superimposed a new guitar recording over the old one, and at a volume that seemed natural with the rest of the instruments, you'd hear both versions simultaneously, and it would be ridiculously obvious where the parts differed. If you're going to dub over something, either the instrument you want to dub over needs to not be recorded, and dubbed over later, or you have to dub over the entire thing, meaning every instrument and element. Judging by the fact that the recording is clearly from a camera, you cannot achieve the first option. And I doubt anyone would go through the trouble of dubbing an entire performance of the same song by the same band just to superimpose the audio onto a bad recording to make the lead guitar sound better.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote