Music Banter - View Single Post - Lessons/just buy?
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
I was....10...... I think, but this was just in music lessons with the rest of the class. I wasn't really interested, but equally It wasn't like there was some burdgeoning talent waiting to burst forth. Looking back I could probably convince myself either way really. But it probably doesn't matter. I guess I just want someone to look into the future and say "you will learn to pay bass above a basic level, you will not be wasting your time and money".

Thanks for your reply though, it's given me more to think about!

Out of interest, how old were you when you first started playing your instruments?
You're welcome. You know, Face, I am positive that you will learn to play bass above a basic level and you will not be wasting your time and money.

Seriously, time spent with music is never wasted, I feel. Go for it. I feel it is better to try than to live with a regret. I've read that if you practice an instrument for 15 minutes a day, you will always improve. You *can* do it.

Answering your question, I was 7 when I first saw a friend playing the violin and told my parents I wanted to learn to play, too, but then I had to wait a whole year on a waiting list before the violin teacher had room for me to start at the age of 8. I didn't always practice very much when I was little, but I still enjoyed playing and my skills and musicality increased over time.

A difference between you and me is that I wanted to play the violin, while you weren't so interested in the recorder, you said, when you were 10. I think if you are interested and enjoy playing an instrument, you can learn to play any instrument you want!
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote