Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Underrated/Overrated Artists
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #1730 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
I would describe their parents as the "hoity toity" people. Racism was running rampant back then, and rock and roll was considered "black" music. To be a white kid listening to rock and roll was considered rebellious, and Elvis made that music accessible to everybody. Adults back then were just more set in their ways - clean cut, wholesome, listening only to big band jazz and Sinatra.
Nope, there is no proof all of the parents of the teenagers back than were all "hoity toity." It seems your argument goes it was generational. Parents weren't into Rock and Roll probably because it was new and weren't use to it, plus other reasons they didn't like RnR. If their parents were listening to Big Band jazz it could've been Cab Calloway or Benny Goodman, and Frank Sinatra who was from Hoboken New Jersey. So why would the parents be "hoity toity" if they listen to music by African American, Jewish and Italian or a New Jersian? Maybe New Jersians are "hoity toity?" Did you ever watch Jersey Shore?

No but seriously if their parents were listening to that music (from Benny Goodman, Frank Sinatra) then they were listening to people representing ethnic groups i.e. Italian and Jewish people that also suffered prejudice during that time.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote