Music Banter - View Single Post - Looking for honest opinions on my band's potential.
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 04:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Okay, well because of your attitude --- very mature and understanding for one so young --- I've decided to have a listen to your music. Here's what I think:

Very good but nothing exceptional, sorry. The vocalist to me seems a little too strong and at times he seems like he's singing over rather than with the music. That's not right, what do I mean... it sounds sometimes like he's there on his own and the music is kind of maybe down in the mix. One thing I do like is the guitar, especially the solos: this guy is pretty good. But the sound itself needs to be filled out I believe: have you considered adding piano/keyboard or maybe even another guitar?

I preferred the first song, "Better days" to the other one, "All I ever wanted", though in both the guitar solos make the song for me.

I'd be cautious of putting off college though. Had this been something I listened to and thought "WOW! Where can I get that music? How can I hear more?" then possibly, but to be brutally honest, you're good but there are a thousand other bands out there just as good, and while you MIGHT get lucky and be signed, there's no guarantee of that. I'd spend more time honing your style and getting a more cohesive sound and then consider your future, after college.

Of course, I could go down in history as the guy who tried to convince the biggest band of the 2000s not to take a chance on their future, but there it is. That's what I think, for what it's worth. Good music? Definitely. Good enough to throw away a college education for? No, not for me.

But of course that's your decision: this is just my opinion.
I would though be interested in hearing the rest of your demo: I run a section in my journal that showcases unsigned bands and am about to write another edition of it, and would be happy to include you if you want.

Anyhoo, don't give up the music but go to college would be my advice.