Music Banter - View Single Post - Looking for honest opinions on my band's potential.
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

I'd definitely agree with this. I personally have never been to college, nor indeed would I have wanted to (I had no clear idea what I wanted to do with my life, all I knew was I wanted to get out of school. Now I'm a carer for my sister due to circumstances but spent almost 30 years in a job that though it didn't always suck, was never something I would have said I wanted to do when I was older) but the idea of skipping it in the hope you'll make it as a band is a bad one.

Sure, there are the stories of these rock stars who were going to go to college but then decided not to and made it, but let's be honest, these "success stories" are few and far between, and as Mr Dave says, if you go down that route the chances are that you MAY stick together with your band and play your music, or you may drift apart and then be left with no real reason for having not gone to college, a decision I believe you'd regret. Then of course you'll have to make ends meet by working in McDonald's or Seven 11 or whatever, while still playing at night and hoping desperately for a breakthrough, a discovery of your talent which, no offence meant, will probably never come.

A life in music is great, but really, you have to learn to live in the world of the possible, the world of the achievable and the world of reality. All signs point towards going to college and getting your degree, and then you can decide what to do; you'll still be young then but with, hopefully, fewer regrets and a sense of having perhaps dodged a bullet this early in your life.