Music Banter - View Single Post - POP/PUNK is dead
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #95 (permalink)
Euronomus
Dibs on the killing sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward To Death View Post
What would you consider to be intelligent/good music?
That's not really the point, there are plenty of styles that I don't think are good that I can still somewhat respect- pop country, nu-metal, power metal, and so on. In fact I think the only other style I view with the same disdain is the rap scene that's been so popular for the last few years- Lil' Wayne, solja boy, t-pain... I'm not dissing punk music because it's not to my liking, my complaint is about "musicians" being lazy, doing the absolute minimum they can to get by, not learning their instruments, and just plain not striving to create something deeper and more complex than the same 3 chord verse\chorus\verse song over and over again.

Just so no-one thinks I'm dodging your question, a short unordered and incomplete list of my personal favorites:Godspeed You! Black emperor, the Mars Volta, Converge(a perfect example of a punk influenced band that brings in more musicianship and thoughtfulness), Chelsea Wolfe, Neurosis, Grizzly Bear, Kayo Dot, Other Lives, Mr Gnome, Owen Pallet, Rose Kemp, Nine Inch Nails, Yakuza, Yeasayer