Music Banter - View Single Post - Looking for honest opinions on my band's potential.
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 05:03 AM   #20 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'd definitely agree with this. I personally have never been to college, nor indeed would I have wanted to (I had no clear idea what I wanted to do with my life, all I knew was I wanted to get out of school. Now I'm a carer for my sister due to circumstances but spent almost 30 years in a job that though it didn't always suck, was never something I would have said I wanted to do when I was older) but the idea of skipping it in the hope you'll make it as a band is a bad one.

Sure, there are the stories of these rock stars who were going to go to college but then decided not to and made it, but let's be honest, these "success stories" are few and far between
There was one Garage Band that did the right thing after scoring one US Hit who's members decided to go back to college in a time when they were still young. Count Five of "Psychotic Reaction" fame. If you heard anything else after that hit, especially the rest of the quickly recorded album, you will know why that decision was smart. I LOVE a great Garage band, but they had that one song and nothing more.

If one does not get the right kind of management or representation, or if one at least does not make the right moves on sites like Reverbnation (like accepting all kinds of invitations for small music fests and the like), it's going to be a long and lonely road.

It's down to this. You either focus on the band, or focus on College. There are a LOT of risks of being in a band. You could have potential, but not the right connections. You could have a hit, but then the magic will fade. You either choose trying to deal with the risks, or (if you already have a Major lined up) stick with your own happening. Who knows, you may be able to get some connection at College.

If you are in a major city, you night be able to blend the two together, but you have to make sure that the band lives close together (Maybe renting a house could be a smart move).

There's already a plan to go to College, so maybe that's a strong hint.

A bit of Trivia...connected to this topic (Kind of)
Although back in The 60's, going to College was a move to avoid The Draft, a lot musicians in Garage Bands who knew that they were never going to make it beyond that first rush of local fame made the right move by doing this. They mainly avoided being that crappy Bar Band doing covers who always wished that things could have went better or that disgruntled Musician who wished that the world would hear the music but instead released a few low-profile singles here and there while working that job that was not supposed to be.