Music Banter - View Single Post - Moderators who can't recognize spam
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #96 (permalink)
Paedantic Basterd
Music Addict

In regards to insults, I think we're going to have more work to do if we're going to deal with insulting behaviour beyond the point of name-calling. Being offended is such a subjective thing. We have users who are overtly sensitive and will report someone they don't like for a slip of the tongue, and call it prejudice. We have users with such thick skins they can take the greatest of vile utterances. How do we, each with a subjective idea of a tolerance threshold, moderate the stimuli for feelings? Personally, I bet I'd read half the reports sent in and say "These people need to harden the **** up, it's just the internet", because that's my personal take on a reasonably mild insult that may have deeply upset someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
Something I think could potentially have a positive impact on forum culture is if moderation is more visible. On a couple of the more moderated forums I've been where atmosphere in general was respectful and friendly, moderators would often edit posts rather than delete them and then leave a message in that post saying it had been moderated and that participants in the discussion should change their tone. That gives a very clear message that someone is in fact paying attention to what goes on, not just to the offender, but to everyone who reads that post.
That seems like singling users out. If I'm going to discuss a user's behaviour with them, it's going to be private, inside PMs. It's nobody else's business if someone gets chastised. I'm not in to public shaming.