Music Banter - View Single Post - Moderators who can't recognize spam
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #101 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
It's drawing public attention to someone in a negative way. That doesn't sit well with me. I would be humiliated if ever it were done to me. If the consensus from our users is that nobody minds, then I will of course participate, however, I find it more courteous to PM a person about their actions, which yields the same results in a more private and friendly manner.
With a PM, you send a message to that user. With a moderation notice like that, you send a message to the whole community.

I don't think it matters so much that you wouldn't like it because I don't think you'd do anything that would warrant such moderation. Neither do I think it's a punishment's requirement that you would like it done to you before it's a valid strategy. I wouldn't like to be publicly moderated either or to go to prison for that matter. That doesn't mean I can't see the value of these things as consequences for rulebreaking.

If people on these forums are aware of the consequences for breaking rules, but choose to break them anyways, then I generally don't feel sorry for them when they suffer those consequences. Getting moderated in public is not such a gruesome punishment for namecalling in public. In my opinion, the punishment fits the crime.

edit :

I also think it would be effective; people would soon learn not to do it. Which of course would be the point of doing it this way in the first place.