Music Banter - View Single Post - So I'm working on an essay... on MusicBanter. I could use your help!
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

1. What is your favorite genre of music?

While I am quite the hip hop and country enthusiast, I will have to probably say Metal is my favourite genre of music, and by that I mean the umbrella term of Metal which encompasses all the various subgenres.

2. Who are your favorite artists (at least at the moment).

Right now it's probably Enslaved. I've been listening to their newest album on repeat for over a week now.

3. How important is music in your life? How often do you listen to it?

It's pretty important, but not as important as it was in 2008/2009 when it was my "thing". I like to think I've broadened my talking points beyond just music and can engage in any conversation pretty easily.

In terms of how often I listen to music, I'd say a good hour of music in the car while driving. Whenever I'm at the gym, and sometimes at work if I'm by myself. I don't do a lot of listening at home anymore, mostly because I like to listen to music loud and I have roommates again so I've made a bit of a compromise.

4. Why are you a member of Music Banter?

I joined in 2009, at the height of music dominating my life. I had lots of music to share, had just started getting into this style called "Gothic Country" and just wanted to be a music guru. I don't think it exactly worked out the way I was hoping, but I'm still happy with the results.

5. What does this community mean to you?

A headache somedays, but like an abused spouse I continually come back. Those are the bad days which are pretty rare. My mod duties definitely sometimes feel like I need to focus more on that than talking about music, and I seem to be doing more long winded analysis' about movies or video games lately. At the end of the day though this community is a lot like a wire where I get to see into the lives and worlds of other people, and get a better idea of the world around me. I also sometimes find good music because of it.

6. Does your opinion of someone get better if you find that they enjoy the same music that you do?

Sometimes, and if I find out somebody likes a lot of the same music as me I might be willing to overlook some other flaws, unless said flaws are so glaring that they make it impossible to look at that person in any other way.

7. Do you find yourself drawn to music that is less well known? Why or why not?

Definitely. I'd be lying if I said that it didn't have anything to do with snobbery, but the truth is passive music listeners don't care if you like some obscure music and it won't win you any friends. One good thing about listening to lesser known music is that ticket prices are usually cheaper, and the bands are more willing to tour smaller towns and venues.

8. Do you enjoy searching for new music/music you have never heard before? Is the act of searching for music as enjoyable as the music itself?

It certainly can be, 2009 was a big year for discovery, although I think more of my fun came from the act of discovery rather than the quality of what I found. There's a lot of stuff I found back then that I have not listened to in a very long time. Over the last two year's I've learned more about quality over quantity, 600 gb of music on your hard drive is impressive but if you don't know much about it then it's kind of hollow.

9. Do your friends outside this community listen to similar music that you do?

A few, many of them actually get their music from me. I'll bring over my hard drive, load them down with stuff I think they'll like, and then let them filter what they want and don't want. I make a point of only doing this if I have reason to believe they'll actually listen to it, cause there's nothing more infuriating than giving people music to not have them listen to it.

10. Would you consider yourself a music snob, an elitist, or even, dare I say, a hipster?

I personally don't think I'm a music snob, but there are certain genres and artists that I do look down upon with contempt that could earn me that status.

11. What does music mean to you?

Expression.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote