Music Banter - View Single Post - Moderators who can't recognize spam
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #112 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
With a PM, you send a message to that user. With a moderation notice like that, you send a message to the whole community.

I don't think it matters so much that you wouldn't like it because I don't think you'd do anything that would warrant such moderation. Neither do I think it's a punishment's requirement that you would like it done to you before it's a valid strategy. I wouldn't like to be publicly moderated either or to go to prison for that matter. That doesn't mean I can't see the value of these things as consequences for rulebreaking.

If people on these forums are aware of the consequences for breaking rules, but choose to break them anyways, then I generally don't feel sorry for them when they suffer those consequences. Getting moderated in public is not such a gruesome punishment for namecalling in public. In my opinion, the punishment fits the crime.

edit :

I also think it would be effective; people would soon learn not to do it. Which of course would be the point of doing it this way in the first place.
Are people not already aware of the consequences? I mean, if someone takes the time to read the rules and know what they can and can't do then surely they know that something may happen if they break them?

Then when they break them we act on it, message the user privately as it frankly isnt anyone elses business and if they do it again we take it further.

I think I see what you're saying. That if these things were made visible it may deter others from doing the same thing but if someone else does the very same thing then we would privately message them and take the same action with them too.

Really I think that beyond that, beyond having rules and acting on those who break them, I don't think making everything visible to everyone else is necessary. Not unless the problem was way out of hand and the forum was imploding as a result of all the work moderators were being given, which it isn't.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust