Music Banter - View Single Post - Favourite 60's metal song?
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock N' Roll Clown
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
There is no definitive answer to any single artist being responsible for any particular genre TBH. You could argue that classical music such as Wagner was the first real heavy music but it would get us nowhere really.

Jimi Hendrix is covering the Troggs song from the mid 60's so we could say that the original was the first song (as it's certainly heavy for it's time) or what about The Kinks You Really Got Me that many think was the first prototype riff for Metal? or what about the last half of I Want You (She's So Heavy) by The Beatles?

I won't bother choosing any track in particular because Heavy Metal whilst undeniably being inspired by the 60's didn't become a recognised genre until the 70's. It's like asking what was your favourite Punk track from the 60's.

I won't even get started on what the Blues did for Metal!
There can never be an answer to who is responsible for a particular genre or who is the first one who did something. But as we accept Chuck Berry as the father of rock n roll, we could accept Jimi Hendrix as the father of metal. He did with his guitar 90% of the stuff that metal guitarists have ever done. I didn't say that a particular track was responsible, Jimi's performances are responsible.