Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You're Digging II
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #8639 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

I didn't even know the Herbaliser still made music...I'll be checking that out.

That is, in between listenings of this masterpiece:

Tame Impala - Lonerism

So Innerspeaker was good. REALLY good. It covered every base as far as what I look for in 60's-inspired psychedelic rock. Still, it didn't quite break past its reverence for a genre long since considered dead by the majority of casual music fans. No matter how good those songs were, it still felt like a massive tribute to the 60's. So needless to say, I was nervous their sophomore album would flop. The anticipation was killing me not only because of this, but because even if it was a flop I really wanted to hear it. I really wanted some new Tame Impala.

Well, my fears have officially been erased. This album is phenomenal. Top to bottom, it is truly excellent. Regardless of what you think of the new direction, there is no denying that these guys are ****ing SERIOUS. Where Innerspeaker sounded like a record that would have been made by bands from the 60's if they were given modern studio equipment, Lonerism sounds like the album they were all striving to make in the first place. It is, in my opinion, one of the most truly psychedelic albums to ever come out. There are layers and layers of intricate melodies in this, and I've been finding new things to enjoy with every listen. Even Elephant - which I thought was relatively weak and inspired a few more worries before the album's release - grew on me and revealed an attention to detail and production that is lost on a lot of albums these days. I still want to emphasize, however, that this no longer sounds like a tribute to the 60's. This sounds like they picked up where the 60's left off and breathed new life into it. They officially carved out a space all their own. It's clear to me that Tame Impala are incredibly talented musicians and Innerspeaker was no fluke. I hate saying Album of the Year when there are still about 3 months to go and several albums worthy of the title have been released in just the last month, but it will seriously take a pretty damn good album to beat this one. So I'll go ahead and say it. Album of the year. Amazing.

A pair of good headphones and a minimum of 320kbps is highly recommended.

Trust me when I say almost every song on the album is this good if not better: