Music Banter - View Single Post - Looking for honest opinions on my band's potential.
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 11:58 PM   #21 (permalink)
nbakid2000
Music Addict

You pretty much have to make a choice - focus on college or your band. It's one or the other, if you want to be famous. You can do college, but then you need to work to pay off student loans. Bye bye band.

If you focus on the band and fail, then it's a toss-up as to whether you can go back to college in time for a degree to get hired somewhere.

Right now the band I (was) managing has completely stalled because 2 of the band members (3 piece outfit) think college is more fun than a band and are putting no effort into writing songs or practicing instruments. They won't get famous or well known any time soon unless they focus completely on the band. It's a job and you have to make it a lifestyle.

They insist they can start the band after college - I'd like to know how they think their new employers are going to let them off for weeks at a time to tour and build a following. The government will want their money back from all those loans too.

So, you might get big after college, but realistically not. If you want to get big, skip college. If you want a steady guaranteed income with no fame, go to college.

As a friend of mine always says, "it just depend on what you like."