Music Banter - View Single Post - 1000 Song Playlist 1963-2012
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Swansea Jack
Groupie

Default 1000 Song Playlist 1963-2012

Hi, I've just signed up to the forum and thought I'd share with everyone a music project I've just started.

As the title suggests it's a 1000 song playlist containing 20 songs per year over the last 50 years. I'm doing it as a Xmas present for someone but also a large part for myself, firstly to have what should be a kick-ass playlist to play on shuffle, but mainly to broaden my music horizons. Whilst I absolutely love music, I am well aware that I haven't scratched the surface to a lot of good material that is out there in terms of time period and genre.

So I'm not putting this out there for it to get shot down in flames, I fully encourage suggestions of songs I may want to include. After briefly skimming through the forum there seems to be a wealth of extensive musical knowledge out there so I would love to hear your opinion.

There are many different factors in why a song has been included. I have tried to include a variety of genres where possible, providing I enjoy the song. Things like historical significance, pop-culture references, personal novelty may also factor. I have researched the best I can giving the time-scale that I have, downloading best of sixties torrents etc, looking up billboard charts per year.

Anyway, here is the first one, 1963.

1. Louie Louie - The Kingsmen
2. I Want To Hold Her Hand - The Beatles
3. I Saw Her Standing There - The Beatles
4. Surfin USA - The Beach Boys
5. Surfin Bird - The Trashmen
6. Ring Of Fire - Johnny Cash
7. I Only Want To Be With You - Dusty Springfield
8. Twist and Shout - The Beatles
9. Walk Like a Man - Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons
10. It's All Right - The Impressions
11. Love Me Do - The Beatles
12. She Loves You - The Beatles
13. From Me To You - The Beatles
14. Glad All Over - The Dave Clark Five
15. Be My Baby - The Ronettes
16. In Dreams - Roy Orbison
17. Please Please Me - The Beatles
18. In My Room - The Beach Boys
19. Since I Fell For You - Lenny Welsh
20. Blowin' In The Wind - Bob Dylan

Note - all selections are based on the year the album was released, not when the single was released in the charts.

This year I found one of the hardest due to the fact it is just before the big influx of rock of the mid-late 60's which is more up my street. I am very conscious that it is very Beatles heavy but I was struggling to find anything I considered better to include for that year. On the flip side 'discovering' The Beatles and Bob Dylan was a big positive already at this early stage as I never truely paid much attention to their work. I also thought that "Since I Fell For You" was also a nice old school love song.

Anyway, any feedback is much appreciated. If anyone is interested I'll post 1964 soon. And apologies for the long-winded post.
Swansea Jack is offline   Reply With Quote