Music Banter - View Single Post - Rabbiting On: Big Ears' Journal
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Big Ears
Music Addict

Default Rabbiting On: Big Ears' Journal

Sounds of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel (Columbia 1966)

American duo have got a groovy thing goin'

Sounds of Silence Tracklist:

Side One
1. The Sound of Silence (3:08)
2. Leaves That Are Green (2:23)
3. Blessed (3:16)
4. Kathy's Song (3:21)
5. Somewhere They Can't Find Me (2:37)
6. Anji (2:17) Davey Graham

Side Two
7. Richard Cory (2:57)
8. A Most Peculiar Man (2:34)
9. April Come She Will (1:51)
10. We've Got a Groovy Thing Goin' (2:00)
11. I Am a Rock (2:50)

Bonus Tracks Reissue 2001
12. Blues Run The Game (2:55) Jackson C. Frank
13. Barbriallen (4:06) Traditional
14. Rose of Aberdeen (2:02) Traditional
15. Roving Gambler (3:03) Traditional

All compositions are credited to Paul Simon, except where stated

Sounds of Silence Lineup:

Paul Simon: Lead vocals, guitar
Art Garfunkel: Lead vocals
Fred Carter, Jr.: Guitar
Larry Knechtel: Keyboards
Joe South: Guitar
Hal Blaine: Drums

Produced by Bob Johnston

Sounds of Silence is the second album by Simon and Garfunkel (following Wednesday Morning, 3AM, 1964), produced by Bob Johnston and released on Columbia in 1966. The duo went on to record many famous songs, culminating in the best-selling Bridge Over Troubled Water album for the same label in 1970.

The Sound of Silence (the song, singular) has a characteristically sparse arrangement, but a big sound (pun intended), making its presence seem like that of Born to Run on Springsteen's breakthrough album. In other words it is unlike anything else on the album, but it fits and is the strongest track, casting a shadow over the subsequent tracks. The following track, Leaves That Are Green is gentle by contrast. Blessed is more stirring and reminds me of the Everly Brothers and The Byrds, which leads me to wonder if it was inspired by The Searchers. Paul Simon spent time in England, from April 1964, when he stayed with Martin Carthy, and his reference to the down-and-outs of London is the first of many relating to the experience, "I got no place to go . . . I've walked around Soho for the last night or so." Certainly, Simon 'borrowed' ideas from English folk musicians, including Scarborough Fair from Carthy. Kathy's Song is an example, about a girl he met in Essex, with its dropped 't' from 'when you start your day' to the reference to 'England, where my heart lies'. Whatever its sources, Kathy's Song is a delicate and beautiful Paul Simon-led track. Somewhere They Can't Find Me is a busier upbeat arrangent with brass and full harmonies. Side One closer is English folk guitarist Davy Graham's most well known acoustic instrumental, Anji.

Richard Cory is a song about a wealthy man who owns a factory, but, like his workers, he is not happy, although this is for different reasons. Richard Cory is followed by the similarly themed, A Most Peculiar Man, about the sort of person who never speaks to anyone and is therefore ignored himself. Glen Campbell and Hal Blaine play on the album and this track has all their hallmarks of twanging guitar and echo-y drums repectively. April Come She will is another gentle traditional-sounding folk song, this time led by Art Garfunkel. We've Got a Groovy Thing is reminiscent of The Beatles, although I don't recall ever hearing them employing the word 'groovy'. I Am a Rock closes side two of the vinyl on a big sounding chorus, "I am a rock, I am an i - i - island."

The 2001 CD has four bonuses, all folk songs, starting with Blues Run the Game, which, despite its English reference, is by American musician Jackson C. Frank, "Catch a boat to England, baby, maybe to Spain". Frank was also a friend of Simon and died in tragic circumstances. Barbriallen is a traditional lullaby-sounding ballad of unrequited love. Rose of Aberden and Roving Gambler are more traditional folk songs. The latter has a very familiar melody, but name dropping various US States along with a country, Spain, presumably because it rhymes with game! One of the singers laughs, reflecting the pleasure they had from working together.

Occasionally, one or other of the duo leads a song, but mostly the singing is dominated by their close harmonies and Simon's guitar. Ostensibly a folk duo, Simon and Garfunkel's arrangements are diverse and often threaten, if not deliver, rising choruses, while the sound can be as big as any rock 'n' roll band. Everything is wonderful and points to the glorious achievements to come with the Scarborough Fair-dominated Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme, Bookends and the towering Bridge Over Troubled Water. I had not heard this album from start to finish for at least thirty years, so it came as a breath of fresh air. I lost count of how many times I played it, I think about eight or nine, and I enjoyed every song.

Originally written June 2012, revised October 2012

Last edited by Big Ears; 10-15-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: to correct typo in Blaine.
Big Ears is offline   Reply With Quote