Music Banter - View Single Post - Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #65 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

The Live Album Section 1970

The 1970s were the era of the live album and I could never do this journal justice unless one or two live albums were mentioned each year. Hard rock and heavy metal like other genres had its fair share of great albums as well. By placing certain live albums here in this section, it also helps me to free up places in the 'Top 10' list as well.

Grand Funk Railroad Live Album 1970 (Capitol)
Blues Rock-Hard Rock
How Florida must've rocked that night!

The Album
As far as live albums went in 1970, the Who's Live at Leeds put most other live albums into the shade, but as one of the biggest acts in the world Grand Funk Railroad who were at the height of their commercial success and put out what I think was a great representation of their live show. This is a live album that splits opinions and garnered negative opinions when it came out in 1970, but then again most heavy bands often got negative views! Certain opinions have long since regarded this as a flawed live album, whilst other opinions such as mine think it captures the band well! The production of Terry Knight gives some real excitement and energy to the recording, which was achieved without any re-mixing, over-dubs or enhanced techniques. The album was recorded between June 23-25 1970 in Florida and lasts for 76 mins, needless to say it was a double set that covered four vinyl sides and the bulk of the material was garnered from the band's first two studio albums (both on my 1970 list). The band sampled the superb "Mean Mistreater" from their future third album Closer to Home which would become the bands biggest selling album to date (on my albums missed the cut list for 1971). The band make excellent choices for the album, including some of the best tracks from their first two albums and are really in their element on songs like "Paranoid" "In Need" and "Heartbreaker" as the band really jam out as expected. On longer tracks "T.N.U.C" and "Into the Sun" they jam out even longer! There is a good cover of the Animals song "Inside Looking Out" on the album as well. Grand Funk Railroad were at times like a force of nature and this album captures a good chunk of that force.

Mark Farner- Guitar/Vocals
Mel Schacher- Bass
Don Brewer- Drums

Production- Terry Knight
Florida 1970

If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History

Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 10-20-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote