Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan
Thread: Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #558 (permalink)
blastingas10
Music Addict

Well looks like you may have another artist to tackle after you're done with Dylan

How many songs were on this "complete" basement tape? I've heard that they recorded at least around 100 songs. I would like to get my hands on what you have.

The one book is called "revolution in the air" by Clinton Heylin. The other is called "dylan visions, portraits and back pages". It's a mojo book. It's really a cool book. It has tons of great pictures in color, it's sort of like a biography. It features little pieces where other musicians talk about Bob. And of course the section about rare Dylan recordings. I would highly recommend it.

One of my favorite quotes from the book is by Leonard Cohen. I believe they were eating lunch in France and Bob asks him how long it took him to write the song "halleluja". Cohen replies, "about a year". Then Cohen asks Bob how long it took him to write "I and I". Bob replies, "about an hour". Then Leonard remarks that he "almost fell out of his chair" when Bob said that, and Bob just laughed.

The other one by Clinton Heylin is pretty long, I've only got to about page 100 so far. It's probably the most in depth book over Dylan songs that you'll find, considering it goes into detail about each song.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote