Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Classical Music Training Overrated/Worthless?
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
FRED HALE SR.
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ManyProblemsProductions View Post
I wasn't referring to the genre, I was referring to being trained in music (as Pete was too, I think). Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
I knew you weren't, I was just using that as an example where being self taught would bring you no help whatsoever. Being self taught in every other genre besides classical and jazz wouldn't generally hinder your progress. I don't see how being classically trained could be overrated or worthless in any event. Learning to read music teaches you many viable things that can increase your ability. For example, I remember studying vocal training with some people many moons ago, and some of the people couldn't detect sliding their vocal range from a half step to a full step. After hearing the difference, they could then visually detect through reading the music how to effect their slides and hit the right pitch and their were virtually no mistakes at that point. If someone wasn't able to decipher this by ear alone then they would make this mistake the rest of their life and never even know it.
FRED HALE SR. is offline   Reply With Quote