Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 02:53 AM   #1548 (permalink)
Big Ears
Music Addict

More ramblings after reading up to page 12 or so:

13. Alan Parsons - I wasn't aware of Alan Parsons' work without the Project, although I know Eric Woolfson made his own albums. You are right to focus on Ian Bairnson, who, like Nicky Hopkins, is a musician who does not always get the credit he deserves. On the subject of friendly fire, I know a person who was a soldier in the middle-east and he said they feared FF more than the Taliban!
14. Fleetwood Mac - I liked Fleetwood Mac with Rick Vito and Billy Burnette. They were very good live and included well-known Peter Green material in their set. They are nothing if not adaptable, because even the album without Christine Perfect is pretty good, although Stevie Nicks said she would not make another Fleetwood Mac album without her. Christine Perfect's work with Chicken Shack is worth a listen (a good example is I'd Rather Go Blind).
15. Mostly Autumn - I played Passengers a lot when it was released. Again, I got a free copy with a magazine. I almost suggested the new album for the record club.
16. Pink Floyd - I am a Pink Floyd fan and a fan of the band without Roger Waters. There are those of us who do not think they missed him at all. On the other hand, Rick Wright was essential to the sound of Pink Floyd and probaby Dave Gilmour's solo work. I love The Division Bell and if you do too, listen to Gimour's Live in Gdansk with Rick Wright. Rick's Wet Dream album is surprisingly good, even though it hit the bargain bins almost immediately after release. I'll stop now, because I could go on and on about Rick's treatment at the hands of Roger Waters.
17. Billy Joel - Agree that the Stranger is him at his best.
18. ELO - Journalists claimed that Discovery was disco-very or very disco, but it's not as bad as they implied. I have got Out of the Blue, but I am a really a fan of the late Move and early ELO. California Man and 10538 Overture were among my first ever records.
19. Boston - Third Stage was the last proper Boston album. Their first was close to perfect, so it was difficult to follow, but Don't Look Back rewards persistence. Brad Delp has a glorious voice and, in my opinion, is the best American rock singer.
20. Trollheart's Handy Guide to Twentieth Century Music Technology - Another great idea and epic in its ambition!
21. Judy Tzuke - I like the Secret Agent album (1998), which contains Bully, but I have not been able to track it down.
22. Molly Hatchet - Great album. The current version of the band is disappointing.
23. Fairyland - The name reminds me of Pink Fairies and Pretty Maids. They were good too.
24. Phil Lynott - His last band, Grand Slam, were underrated for some reason. There were no limits to what he could have acheived had he lived.
25. Y&T - The Black Tiger title-track has one of the all time great intros.
26. Millenium - You said you were a spelling Nazi. Me too, unless I'm making the error of course - and then it's down to mis-typing!

Previously, I got muddled with the track Credo from the album Internal Exile. Shapes That Go Together by A-ha was not on an album, but appeared on a couple of later compilations. It was released around the same time as Pink Floyd's Keep Talking from The Division Bell.

Last edited by Big Ears; 10-19-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Big Ears is offline   Reply With Quote