Music Banter - View Single Post - How do I teach music theory to someone with no understanding of music?
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 03:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrokov View Post
I know this girl isn't tonedeaf because she can hear dissonance and resolution. I honestly don't know if she can remember what songs sound like because she REFUSES to sing or hum.

I need a way to explain it simply because her English isn't that great. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Have her draw out the keyboard and then label the notes for her, then have her do it. Do stuff like that, in a way music theory is build into or related to a piano keys and the music staff appears. Also look up The Suzuki method for piano see if that can help.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote