Music Banter - View Single Post - You Are Programmed To Like Certain Types Of Music
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 02:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Scarlett O'Hara
Make it so

Default You Are Programmed To Like Certain Types Of Music

5 Ways Your Taste in Music is Scientifically Programmed | Cracked.com

Quote:
Likewise, how you're feeling when you hear a song can completely affect whether or not you like that song. This conditioning is so strong that once it is ingrained, your brain will actually start seeking out certain types of music so that it can manipulate itself into a desired emotional state.
Quote:
...when your brain is new and still developing, it's constantly creating new and different neural pathways to perform all the mental tasks that will be required of it throughout your life. So your parents' musical preferences, whatever is on the radio, the rinky-dinky songs your preschool teacher taught you -- anything is fair game to form the foundation that will be your musical taste. And your brain pays attention, developing neural pathways to recognize the music of your culture. At age 10, you start to bonk out the music that doesn't fit in with your recognizable scheme of "good" music. At age 12, you begin to use those newly formed tastes to figure out your place in the world ("You will know us by our SPIN DOCTORS T-shirts!"). By 14, for the most part, your musical preferences are a done deal.
I found this article really interesting, because when I look back to when I was younger than 14 I listened to Techno, Trance, Hard Rock, and Classic Rock. That is what I'm still a huge fan of but only in the last ten years I got into Heavy Metal, DnB, Hip Hop, Prog and Indie. My dad used to play music all the time as I was growing up like Cream, Deep Purple, The Cranberries and Canned Heat, all bands that I still love. I'm not sure whether it means you will have preferences for certain types of chords? What do you guys think? Do you like the same stuff from your teenage years?

Another example of mine past is I still adore 90's music, are you guys the same with your early years decade?