Music Banter - View Single Post - Metallica - Death Magnetic
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #76 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopinuk View Post
I think it is somewhat tired and unimaginitive in the sense that St. Anger struck me as an attempt at Metallica changing to take advantage of a new market, a new generation of young metal fans and Death Magnetic was a response to their critics and a move back toward their roots and their existing fans which seemed somewhat cheap and recycled. It always seemed like Metallica going right back into their comfort zone.

Having said that, I really don't analyse so much when forming my opinion on that record. Metallica's heyday has been and gone. I don't look back at their first three or four records when forming an opinion on the new record as, for me, thats redundant. I look at everything post-AJFA and Death Magnetic, to me, is a decent, enjoyable metal record that sounds pretty good live.

That's good enough for me.
As I was trying to say earlier but it fell on deaf ears I think, is that the Black Album was the prefect execution of a melodic heavy album and a heavily stripped down affair at the same time, it has some stellar tracks and achieved what it was meant to do, it's not great but certainly not bad. As one of the biggest bands in the world Load was the work of a band indulging in some southern boogie and again they did it very well, ReLoad were just the leftovers. On St.Anger they tried to do a Black Album again by trying to capture the some of the modern trends in metal at that time, but Metallica updating their sound to incoporate current Nu-Metal trends was always going to be a risky and hard thing to do.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote