Music Banter - View Single Post - Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #78 (permalink)
Big Ears
Music Addict

It's interesting how these early rock bands are regarded as such, when they were just the heavy rock bands in their day. They were, perhaps, more underground than the modern groups and some remained in oblivion. Here are some of my thoughts after reading to page 7:

Truth - The Jeff Beck Group are one of the few rock bands to influence Led Zeppelin. The latter, on the other hand, influenced almost everybody else.
Deep Purple - I like the early DP as well as trhe Gillan-era. You can hear a connection between the two versions of the band on Ian Gillan's live version of Hush (which is great). Captain Beyond's first album is pretty good too.
Grand Funk - When I was young, in the mid-seventies, I heard a great album by GF but I cannot remember which one. It had in-your-face instrumental passages and might have been the red album. Which do you think is their best album?
High Tide - I've never heard Sea Shanties and I'm intrigued.
MC5 - There were some intersting TV documentaries about the Detroit groups and the MC5 stood out as more of a heavy rock band than I expected. Which is a good place to start with them?
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King, especially 21st Century Schizoid Man, is beyond heavy!
Leslie West - Mountain has the escellent Why Dontcha, which he performed live with the reformed Mountain (the band) in the mid-eighties. They should've re-recorded it or, better still, released their Kenbworth performance, warts and all.
Spooky Two - Like Crimson's Schizoid Man, Better By You, Better Than Me is more menacing than anything by most heavy rock bands.
May Blitz - Tony Newman was an outstanding drummer. I know he was with Three Man Army and other bands, but I wonder what happened to him?
Stray - Good to see them get a mention. Stray rank with The Groundhogs, Black Sabbath and Budgie for sheer heaviness. Suicide has the best riff of all time.
Lucifer's Friend - I love Lawton-era Uriah Heep, but I could never get into this band. Maybe they didn't make it for a reason or perhaps I'm missing something.
Black Sabbath - You are right, Warning is a filler, but it's the greatest filler of all time. NIB has a riff to rank with Stray's Suicide (and The Groundhogs' Soldier).
Sir Lord Baltimore - I've read a lot about them but never heard them.
Deep Purple - The remastered version of In Rock is even better than the original vinyl. I nearly wore out my CD!
Trapeze - Believe it or not, Trapeze were still a great band live without Glenn Hughes. Mel Galley was an underrated singer, but wanted to concentrate on his guitar playing. I forget who they brought in as lead singer, it might have been John Goalby.

Another early heavy rock album from 1970 is Luv Machine's self-titled effort. They were ahead of their time and disappeared into obscurity.
Big Ears is offline   Reply With Quote