Music Banter - View Single Post - Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #80 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
Truth - The Jeff Beck Group are one of the few rock bands to influence Led Zeppelin. The latter, on the other hand, influenced almost everybody else.
I never thought of it like that and I might be inclined to agree with that.

Quote:
Deep Purple - I like the early DP as well as trhe Gillan-era. You can hear a connection between the two versions of the band on Ian Gillan's live version of Hush (which is great). Captain Beyond's first album is pretty good too.
I've come to appreciate the MK.I version of the band a lot more now and Captain Beyond put out two great albums in the debut and Sufficiently Breathless.

Quote:
Grand Funk - When I was young, in the mid-seventies, I heard a great album by GF but I cannot remember which one. It had in-your-face instrumental passages and might have been the red album. Which do you think is their best album?
I'm 99% certain it would have been from either On Time or Grand Funk (Red Album) Those two are their best along with 1973's We're An American Band where Todd Rundgren revitalized them.

Quote:
High Tide - I've never heard Sea Shanties and I'm intrigued.
You should be intrigued, it's a hidden gem.

Quote:
MC5 - There were some intersting TV documentaries about the Detroit groups and the MC5 stood out as more of a heavy rock band than I expected. Which is a good place to start with them?
I always thought of them as a heavy rock band first and a proto punk band second. The debut live album is the place to start and their first studio album Back in the USA is a great album and it reminds me of how the Ramones would have sounded, if they'd been a hard rock band.

Quote:
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King, especially 21st Century Schizoid Man, is beyond heavy!
Of course and along these lines, I expect to include some ELP as well, prog bands didn't do heavy, they just did powerful!

Quote:
Leslie West - Mountain has the escellent Why Dontcha, which he performed live with the reformed Mountain (the band) in the mid-eighties. They should've re-recorded it or, better still, released their Kenbworth performance, warts and all.
Everything about Leslie West and Mountain was rough around the edges and damn heavy, but they were also capable of putting out some beautiful sounding compositions as well.

Quote:
Spooky Two - Like Crimson's Schizoid Man, Better By You, Better Than Me is more menacing than anything by most heavy rock bands
So much so, that Judas Priest got into all types of trouble with it in the 1970s!

Quote:
May Blitz - Tony Newman was an outstanding drummer. I know he was with Three Man Army and other bands, but I wonder what happened to him?
I know he worked with T.Rex and Jeff Beck. According to wiki he lives in Las Vegas.

Quote:
Stray - Good to see them get a mention. Stray rank with The Groundhogs, Black Sabbath and Budgie for sheer heaviness. Suicide has the best riff of all time.
I'm surprised that you think that Stray are really heavy! Also the Groundhogs as well. I'd describe the Groundhogs as intense sounding rather than heavy, but that is a debatable opinion. Now I know you don't know either the High Tide or Sir Lord Baltimore albums.....they are heavy! I'm still thinking whether the Groundhogs should be included somewhere in this journal.

Quote:
Lucifer's Friend - I love Lawton-era Uriah Heep, but I could never get into this band. Maybe they didn't make it for a reason or perhaps I'm missing something.
Listen to the debut again it's a fantastic album, the rest of their discography is proggy stuff and very hit and miss.

Quote:
Black Sabbath - You are right, Warning is a filler, but it's the greatest filler of all time. NIB has a riff to rank with Stray's Suicide (and The Groundhogs' Soldier).
Have to agree with those riffs, but the guitaring on Groundhogs "Thank Christ for the Bomb" track is something special and shows the intensity that I said earlier.

Quote:
Sir Lord Baltimore - I've read a lot about them but never heard them.[
Sheer brute force circa 1971, how the hell didn't this band make it!!!

Quote:
Deep Purple - The remastered version of In Rock is even better than the original vinyl. I nearly wore out my CD!
I have the remaster too.

Quote:
Trapeze - Believe it or not, Trapeze were still a great band live without Glenn Hughes. Mel Galley was an underrated singer, but wanted to concentrate on his guitar playing. I forget who they brought in as lead singer, it might have been John Goalby.
Mel Galley was great, but got overshadowed by the other two, who went on to be in much bigger bands. I know Mel Galley recently died Peter Goalby was vocalist on the later Trapeze albums before he went to Uriah Heep.

Quote:
Another early heavy rock album from 1970 is Luv Machine's self-titled effort. They were ahead of their time and disappeared into obscurity.
Don't know that album at all, have made a note of it.

Glad you're enjoying the journal and keep up with the comments
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote