Music Banter - View Single Post - Prokofiev
Thread: Prokofiev
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Ahh, Prokofiev!

Like those above who mentioned liking Sergei Prokofiev's music for the ballet "Romeo and Juliet," I am extremely fond of it. I especially like his "Dance of the Knights," which starts with such drama and power, lingers tenderly on a central, delicate section, and then after some turbulence, a struggle between hope and destruction, returns to decimating power at the end. Terrific! And under six minutes!

Interestingly, I was first introduced to Prokofiev due a car commercial around twenty years ago. The commercial played "Dance of the Knights" as some sleek car drove between giant, ominous, swinging metal spheres. I didn't care for the car...but that MUSIC! I was in awe.

I've searched for that commercial online without success...so you'll have to settle for the London Symphony performing the piece sans cars and mammoth pendula:

Prokofiev - "Dance of the Knights" (from his ballet "Romeo and Juliet")

Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet, No 13 Dance of the Knights (Valery Gergiev, LSO) - YouTube

^ I know Zaqarbal likes this piece, too. I remember.

Now, in case you have two-and-a-half hours to spare and weren't satisfied by those six minutes of music splendor, you can also watch...THE WHOLE BALLET FOR FREEEEEE!!! ! ! ! (This is where you dissolve into tears of joy.)

So wipe your eyes, pop some popcorn, turn off the lights, enlarge the YouTube screen, and sit back and enjoy...

Prokofiev - "Romeo and Juliet" (The Ballet)
Nureyev - Ballet Nacional De La Opera De Paris
Tbilisi Symphony Orchestra

Prokofiev - Romeo And Juliet - Nureyev - YouTube
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 10-23-2012 at 10:00 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote