Music Banter - View Single Post - mental health thread
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #41 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
My doctor started me on Cymbalta recently to help relieve migraine headaches and moderate depression (which I think is coming from the migraines, generally). The Cymbalta is really disrupting my ability to sleep, even though I'm taking it in the morning now. I took another antidepressant a couple of years ago and didn't have the sleep problem with that one. However, my doctor feels the Cymbalta has better pain-reducing properties (hasn't worked yet, though). Just wondering if anyone has taken Cymbalta and had the sleep problem? Thanks.
I'm sorry about the migraines you are having, Liz. I haven't taken Cymbalta, but I have had migraines...horribly painful, preceded by the visual disturbances that are followed by the horrendous headache.

I still have a strong memory of having a migraine in grad school when I was doing an experiment with freeze-dried spinach leaves that were in liquid nitrogen. I couldn't leave, otherwise the whole experiment would be ruined! So I had to work through the migraine rather than curl up in a dark, quiet room for hours and try to sleep (fitfully) until the pain fades, which is what I usually do when I have a migraine.

Hopefully someone else with Cymbalta experience can tell you if it caused sleep problems for them.

I looked Cymbalta up online and learned:

DoubleCheckMD Side Effects -

"Cymbalta may cause insomnia and other sleep problems in 8% to 13% of people. This drug may also cause the following symptoms that are related to insomnia and other sleep problems:
•Sleep disturbances (frequent)
•Nightmares in more than 2% of people
•Drowsiness in 7% to 21% of people
•Decrease in REM sleep (the sleep time during which dreaming occurs) Decrease in REM sleep
•Disruption of sleep cycle - changes in rapid eye movement (REM) sleep Disruption of sleep cycle - changes in rapid eye movement sleep
•Drug withdrawal symptoms (develop when drug is stopped - may include agitation, restlessness, anxiety, depression, insomnia, tremor, increased blood pressure, nausea, abdominal cramps, blurred vision, seizures, sweating) Drug withdrawal symptoms
•Mania (an emotional disorder with an exagerated feeling of well-being and hyperactivity - can cause racing thoughts; distraction; increased sexual urges; sleeplessness; irritability; anger; delusions; hyper-religiosity; talkativeness; rapid speech; buying sprees; grandiose plans; abnormally elevated mood) Mania. This symptom may occur with a history of bipolar disorder
•Manic switch (a switch from depression to mania - an emotional disorder which may cause an exagerated feeling of well-being; hyperactivity; racing thoughts; distraction; increased sexual urges; sleeplessness; irritability; anger; delusions; hyper-religiosity; talkativeness; rapid speech; buying sprees; grandiose plans; abnormally elevated mood) Manic switch (uncommon)"
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote