Music Banter - View Single Post - mental health thread
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #45 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
Thank you for that information, (((Erica))). Sorry you have experienced migraines as well. Being stuck there during that experiment in grad school must have been very unpleasant and uncomfortable for you. My doctor said Cymbalta does not cause sleep disruption in the majority of patients, so he's asked me to stay on it a while longer and see if there is a change. During the periods in which I do sleep, I am having a lot of nightmares -- or at least nightmares that I can remember, which is unusual for me. I am having visual disturbances also (as you did), so my doctor has referred me to an opthalmologist.

Thanks again for posting that info, Erica, in your usual caring way. I appreciate it very much.
You're welcome, Liz. I am sorry we have migraines in common, but in a way it is comforting, isn't it, to know you're not alone and our brains are very similar?

I see that 2% of people taking Cymbalta have worse nightmares. So maybe you are in that 2%!

Liz, about the visual disturbances: do you mean visual disturbances associated with the migraine? If so, then in my humble, non-doctor opinion, an opthalmologist will not be able to help, because the visual disturbances are due to waves of neuronal activity in your occipital region of your brain and have nothing to do with your eyes.

Below is a Mayo clinic video followed by short article about migraines that I recommend because it shows what a visual migraine aura often looks like for people. WARNING...you might not want to watch the visual aura simulation in this video, because I find that for me, just watching the aura starts to trigger a headache! But it *does* show very well what a typical visual aura looks like: a growing spot where you can't quite see clearly, followed by a crescent-shaped region with flashing, zig-zaggy lines. Notice that visual auras can occur on their own without a migraine headache.

Migraine aura - MayoClinic.com

My migraines are rare (perhaps 2 or 3 per year) so I haven't been able definitely to identify triggers, but I think these are possible triggers/causes for me:

(1) Genetics. My dad experiences visual auras without headache; my mom experiences migraine headaches without visual auras! I get both. Lucky me!

(2) Stress and lack of sleep. Migraines make both problems worse, so it can be a circular process. :/

(3) Seeing zigzaggy and/or flashing lights. I avoid flashing lights. I suspect my brain associates them with visual auras (which I dread), so then my stress level rises and I expect a migraine to occur. Then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

(4) Hormone (estrogen) fluctuations. Since you and I are probably both perimenopausal, we are in a time of life when many women experience the most migraines. The good news is that after menopause, the chance of experiencing a migraine is lower. Here's a good article about migraines and hormones, Liz:

Perimenopausal Migraines: What You Need to Know | Health, Beauty, Fashion, Love, Careers and more - MORE Magazine

What I have tried to do to stop migraines when I feel a headache coming on:

(1) Go into a dark room and do jumping jacks to increase blood flow to my brain and get rid of any aggravating light stimuli.

(2) Eat chocolate (hey, at least it may taste good! ). Drink cocoa/coffee.

I recommend this article about migraines and coffee:

Best cure for migraine headaches may be a cup of coffee or two | Mail Online

^ It says, "blood vessels which can decrease pain. If you feel a migraine coming on, try drinking a cup or two of strong black coffee or a caffeinated soft drink, a simple treatment that works for many people."

Also: "Migraines are caused by abnormal brain biochemistry and are not, as some believe, self-induced. They are not the consequence of psychiatric problems, nor a sign of hypochondria, nor the fault of the sufferer. They are a chronic, neurological illness that is present from birth and is in most cases inherited from one or both parents."

(3) Try to go to sleep in the dark if I can. And then just ride it out, remembering that "this too shall pass."

(4) Drink lots of water in case being dehydrated triggered the migraine.

^ None of these seem to help much, but it doesn't stop me from trying!

Have you identified any triggers for your migraines or ways to cope with them?
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 10-24-2012 at 09:44 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote