Music Banter - View Single Post - The Prog Rock Album Club
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #139 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Spocks’ Beard The Light 1994

The Light is a prog album that I greatly enjoy and think its four multi-part suites are what modern prog should be about. The album has a real freshness and vibrancy about it and always lends up well to repeated listenings. I’ve always found that the work of Spock’s Beard to be littered with references to past prog giants of the 1970s, which I suppose it’s not surprising! The band though, have referenced these influences in such a way, that they’re done in their own style. Not only are Spock’s Beard about the past, where their sound incorporates material like King Crimson “21st Schizoid Man” era, classic Yes and Gabriel era Genesis. The band have put in a lot of original musical styles, that could be seen risky for a prog band. Stuff like theatrical broadway elements and flamenco which are both featured on the opening track, the 15 minute “The Light” This is a great track which encompasses everything I’ve written above and totally shows that the band were willing to push the barriers and is a glorious 15 minutes of listening. Track 2 “Go the Way You Go” There are parts of this song that I think are great, but it’s a song that lends itself to repeated listens to fully appreciate what’s on offer here. The previous song has more of the bands influences mixed in with original ideas, track 2 seems to be even more syncopated still and the rhythm changes even more unexpected! “The Water” The most overblown effort on the album and I think the band really wanted to show what they could do on a 23 minute song, which is made even more impressive by the middle more aggressive section, this really is a song of multi-suites. Out on the Edge- The most straightforward song on the album, but that’s not to say it’s a bad song in anyway and constantly throughout the song, I keep on expecting Neal Morse to burst out in true Peter Gabriel style, but he just manages to keep a lid on it.

I always think of Spock’s Beard as a band I really like, but when looking at their discography, it’s surprising just how little I know of their discography. But this is an excellent debut and a must listen to, for anybody interested in 1990s prog.

8/10
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote