Music Banter - View Single Post - Ceeeeeeeeelebrate Good Times ......... COME ON !!!!
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 04:48 AM   #35 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Mankycaant, I salute you. I'm not going to go quoting your whole text, but thanks for at least trying to defend Blunt.

It pisses me off that people here are so condescending towards the guy, when most of them openly admit they only know "that song". Yeah it's crap guys and I hate it too (read my review of his album in my journal if you don't believe me) but let's get one thing straight: for a huge majority of people the reason they hated Blunt's "You're beautiful" isn't because it's a terrible song (it is) but because no matter where they turned the dial at any time of the day, they couldn't escape the bloody thing on the radio! It seemed to be on about every third song, every station.

Guess what? This ain't his fault! So radio stations overplayed, to saturation, and then suicidial tenedency, point, that song. Not his fault. You think he asked them to? Hell, he was probably sick of hearing it himself!

But when you know little or nothing else of his music, you really haven't the right to be gloating as you are and making fun of the guy. I didn't see him as a star, I wouldn't have been a huge fan but he did make some excellent music that was, whether you like it or not, honest and at its heart quite simple. He didn't use vocoders, samples, intricate arrangements on bring in guest stars. His album "Back to Bedlam", is an exercise in the sort of songwriting that made stars of people like James Taylor and Harry Chapin in the 60s and 70s. It's from the heart, songs that tell a story and don't wander.

There are much worse people in the music biz, and I for one will miss him.
Oh, and manky's political comments were a direct response to someone talking, pretty much out of the blue, about OBL, so I think they were justified.

And now, just to annoy you, here are some JB videos. If you haven't heard these, try clicking them with a partially open mind. You might be surprised.
But I know you won't. Your minds are made up and I have to say the vast majority of you here seem to be as much sheep on this issue as those you say put him where he was just because it was "the cool thing" at the time. If you know his music, and hate it, fair enough. If you don't, exercise that well-known and prized open-mindedness MB is famous for and listen. Just listen, then judge.

Hands up those who skipped the videos and rolled their eyes at me? I rest my case.