Music Banter - View Single Post - Last album you bought, downloaded or listened to
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #18339 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Seven Steps To The Green Door - The ? Book.
Posted this in the Rock forum and it gets posted here because it is one damn good album. I have only heard it digitally but the CD comes in book form with coded pages with a story that connects the album both auditory and literary. It's on my Amazon wish list. Prog Rock minus the noodling that has never really done anything for me. Instead it dips into death growls, male/female vocal harmonies, ambient Sax passages and a nod to it's Retro heritage whilst still sounding fresh enough to garner new listeners. Imagine Opeth meets Porcupine Tree meets Rush and you are sort of halfway there.

I am only on first listen with this after hearing a track today and used Shazam to track it down. It's a mis-mash of Heron's usual laid back laconic delivery with an undertow of dark, dub inspired beats and chilled Electronica.
Have a track:

2:54 - S.T
A sister combo with an album that has a Shoegaze/Ethereal feel but still hold it's focus and doesn't turn into a wispy cloud of nothing. It has bite AND atmosphere.

Any band with Dub in their name usually brings me out in hives these days due to the dreaded Dubstep stigma but happily to report that the Dub is exactly that, with a dash of Hip Hop, stilted Electronica and Bass heavy beats. Whilst not in the same area as Dubmatix (one of my favourites) regarding a more dance/groove inspired sound, it is still refreshingly old school in sound but modern in production. So yes we get to hear some Reggae again! Quality stuff.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote