Music Banter - View Single Post - Godspeed You! Black Emperor
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #202 (permalink)
Alfred
one big soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chives View Post
Decided to check out Godspeed based on what I've heard about them here on MB. I'm a little torn on how I feel about them, though.

I listened to F♯ A♯ ∞ (vinyl version) and 'Like Antennas' and they both were fascinating listens. I've never really heard anything like it before. I definitely see the comparisons between film and tv scores (at points, at least) mentioned way early in the thread. I feel like they try and tell a story through sounds, or something like that. I wasn't really able to pick up on what that story was, but it was still very cool!

On the other hand, it was a bit tiring to listen to multiple songs in a row. Very long pieces, and it was easy to lose focus on the song during the down parts. I know it's part of the pacing to incite atmosphere but that doesn't really help keep me interested. So while I'm interested I also feel like it's not totally accessible to me. I'll give some more listening time to them, though, since my interest outweighs the problems I have.
Listen to the CD version of F#A# (infinity). It has some movements that are not present on the vinyl version that are absolutely jaw-dropping.