Music Banter - View Single Post - U.S. Election Day — Obama vs. Romney
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #313 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
Good post. I wish I could articulate my politics as well as you have.
Basically, I'd feel like a pussy voting for Obama and I'd feel like an asshole voting for Romney.
As an old-school Libertarian I despise the fact that we (the US) as a nation can't figure out how to collectively look beyond current Republican vs. Democrat politics. I'm not even happy that "we" are a nation because I care little about political borders.
I don't believe that either of the 2 (two!) viable candidates are going to fix the world economy. So, I'll probably once again vote against the guy who I disagree most with on social issues. I wouldn't but I feel that I have to vote because of my citizenship in this oh-so-important nation. And, yes, I feel stupid. Sorry, world.
That's exactly the thing. Policy often gets stuck in the confines of the partisan cubby hole it exists in, and the very concept of venturing out of those confines for an equitable solution seems more and more like an alien concept to both parties, which really impedes progress that should be based on something more objective than where a party stands on an issue and whether the person calling the shots is in party A or party B.

I do realize that parties generally came about based on common views held by majorities either way, but I feel like the very label of one side or another has a very real tendency to substitute critical thinking for the easier filing system of simply deciding a perspective based on how your affiliates feel about it. I personally think that's the greatest unintentional tragedy of a system that defines its beliefs in a partisan way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloozcrooz View Post
Yeah Freebase has always had a way with words and I agree with all of what he said on that issue. Good post FBD
Thanks man!