Music Banter - View Single Post - Lil Reese beats up girl.
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #59 (permalink)
someonecompletelyrandom
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticipation View Post
idk man, it seems like you could make that claim for just about any mentality that humans exhibit, tendencies towards violence, manipulation, greed, anger, abuse, etc. the norm isn't all that "moral" in reality, at least in my experience. humans are a perverse and constantly morally devolving species to be quite honest, and it's nothing to be ashamed about for having a different viewpoint. we are not at all "moral" in one absolute way, especially not leaning towards logic naturally or intrinsically. yes we may have cognitive problem solving skills and a capacity for emotional development, it is rare that we see other species develop the same type of moral codes just by their nature. i just think that our social and communicative relationships influence our morality more than our DNA, no matter how much pseduo-geneticists would like to deny it.
Well, there are a number of good arguments for altruism arising as an evolved trait on the genetic level, but I do understand your point. Really, it's hard to gauge, as there really isn't any animal more intelligent than us. That's our thing. It seems likely to me that the reason we've come up with advanced codes of law and morality on the group level is precisely because we're genetically hardwired to, but I'm no anthropologist or evolutionary biologist. However, it really doesnt change things. Even if what we call "morality" evolved soley at the group level, and acknowledging the fact that all of our definitions of morality vary, I still would make the case that a reasoned, rational morality based on non violence and being civilized is beneficial to our survival as species. I would also assert this as being superior to most religious moralities as it isn't based on superstitous and petty restrictions which don't withstand critical thought.

In any case, I wouldn't say religion is necessarily the origin of rooting for the underdog, which I guess was HHBH's original assertion. Protecting the defenseless goes back to hammurabi's code and certainly spans holy books the world over. I think it's a reaction evolved very early on in the most primitive groups. Cooperation is key to group survival, after all. We've never been a species to disregard the weak amoung us. We've used and usurped the weak by asserting dominance in positions of power and leadership, but generally not abandoned them. I'd say this is a trait we have in common with our ancestors, as many of our cousins display altruism.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote