Music Banter - View Single Post - Top ten British bands
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #32 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
The Edge (David Evans) is born in Barking, London, England - to parent who are of Welsh decent, Adam Clayton is of English decent - I'm using that as a techincality of being partly British. Dave Edmunds is from Wales and the Rezillos are from Scotland. It's a "Top ten British bands" thread and I didn't want to load my top ten with just English bands - no offense. And as a side note a good amount of the Liverpool populataion have Irish ancestry. And the members of The Beatles are of Irish decent or partly so (I don't know how well known a fact that is) but anyway you can claim them as proudly Irish too if you like.
No, sorry: too many Irish bands are claimed as "British" once they get famous/popular. U2 formed in Dublin (my home town), went to school together in Dublin and were in fact formed while the guys were there. They ALWAYS call themselves an Irish band, and even the Wiki page has them as "an Irish band from Dublin". If you look deeply enough into anyone's ancestry you can probably find reasons to paint them as this or that nationality, but U2 are, and always will be, Irish.

And without getting political, Ireland is NOT part of Britain -- at least, not the south, where I am...