Music Banter - View Single Post - How do you feel about this?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Default How do you feel about this?

I don't mean to imply that all food stamp recipients are spending your tax dollars in questionable ways, but the image got me thinking about how different people may feel about the welfare system we (in the U.S.) have, and whether welfare reform would be a good idea, and if so, how we should go about it, and if not, why?

Personally, I think the welfare system is a good thing in concept. It ensures that we, as a developed nation, don't simply let the poor and disabled starve. It ensures that everyone has an opportunity to have the basic necessities to live. It helps those who are unable, both permanently and temporarily.
On the flip-side of that coin, however, I think there's a tendency for some to take these things for granted and not utilize them to the extent they could be. I've grown up around many people who required some sort of government assistance, and it seems that now, more than ever, the majority feel as though these things aren't assistance, but bonuses.
I've known people to only disclose certain incomes in order to qualify for food stamps so they could buy things like lobster and steak while spending the money they earn on drugs, alcohol, and lots of Ramen noodles.
These are people with children...
And I've definitely heard of many cases where food stamps are outright traded for drugs. (Cue drug tests for food stamps debate)

I know I can't say that's the case for everyone, but it would be equally wrong to assume that it isn't the case at all. As a single taxpayer whose federal withholdings are quite sizable, I'd like to know that money is being spent wisely.
If I were to reform welfare, I'd probably pursue verification avenues that provided greater assurances that assistance was not being abused, but without making it harder for legitimate access.
And therein lies the problem. How do you accomplish that?
Do you think it's even necessary?
How would you approach something like that?
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote